A Completely (Ab)normal Day

A post I wrote months ago and just discovered:
The kiddos and I had a pretty calm day today, and it was honestly so lovely.
We hadn't gone in the creek at all this summer. Adora and Juno had been asking for a while, but the grass was mega tall, and I didn't want them to get ticks. Finally, after a lot of begging and pleading, my younger brother took his riding mower down and mowed the grass for me, so that this week, we could go down and enjoy the creek.
We swam for a while, finding areas of different depths, discovering acorns floating in the river, and glimpsing special rocks buried deep in the creekbed. In a sandy bank, we found some seaglass, and at first sight, the kiddos were hooked. We spend a good half hour looking for seaglass in the riverbed, and we found a lot of pretty and interesting pieces. Juno, especially, enjoyed finding these treasures in the creekbank. She excitedly dashed around, shouting with joy every time she found one. A girl after my own heart -- I have jars and jars of seaglass that I have collected on the beach.
After finding seaglass, we continued walking through the creek. "I'm Miss Adventure, follow me!" Adora announced, before bringing us on a creek-stomping adventure. We returned to the house, eventually, as Juno was getting cold, but I think that if it had just been Adora and me in the creek, we might have stayed for hours.
 After we came back from the creek, I set Juno up in my room with lots of soft towels and a pile of warm blankets while I ran a bath for Adora.
I put on a record for Juno (Tallahasse by The Mountain Goats -- her choice) and ran into the other room to help Adora set up her bath. After some digging around in the bathroom, I found an unused bath bomb, which I allowed Adora to use in her bath. This, of course, thrilled her to no end. We talked about how there are many different kinds, and I told her that I would see if I could find some special ones on Etsy for Esther Day, but she doesn't know -- she is going to be so excited).
When I came back to my room, Juno was lying down, wrapped up in blankets, and relaxing music was planing on the turntable. She rubbed her eyes and told me that she was going to sleep.
Juno rested, eventually both girls had a warm bath, we went back downstairs and played games, and read books together. It was just such a lovely day.
I feel so lucky to be able to spend time with these awesome small people, and to enjoy peaceful and fun days like these.



Comments

Popular Posts